One of the most basic emotions of a woman is her desire is to become a mother. For most, conceiving is easy, but for some women, it can be a heartbreaking experience. Infertility may leave many hopeful mothers and couples distressed.
Numerous lifestyle factors lead to infertility like:
- Improper diet and regimen leading to obesity
- Working in occupations with exposure to high temperature that affects sperm count in men
- Exposure to chemicals, pesticides
- Lack of exercise
- Walking: Brisk walking is a great cardiovascular exercise,a regular walk in the morning and evening will go a long way. It helps to keep the heart strong and also burns the extra calories and prevents excess weight gain.
- Swimming : It helps build up endurance to prepare you for pregnancy.
- It increases the oxygen carrying capacity
- Acts on the large muscle groups
- Less chances of injury
- Reduces swelling in arms and legs
- Gentle exercise to boost fertility
It can be continued during the course of infertility treatment and is a lot of fun!
- Dancing :
A great all round cardio workout that builds and tones up all your body muscles. Infact belly dancing used to be an ancient ritual for fertility!
- It strengthens the pelvic floor muscles and reproductive organs
- Reduces blood pressure and stress
- Cycling :
It is known to be an ideal workout for women who are trying to have a baby. It relieves back pain, alleviates mood and improves your sleep. You can try a spinning class at your local gym too!
- Yoga :
To improve fertility, yoga helps to control anxiety, relaxes the mind and body. A daily schedule of asanas and pranayams for an hour each day will help in increased circulation, promote health and reduce mental and physical stress. Here are some yoga exercises.
Here are some fertility boosting asanas :
- Paschimottasana (Seated forward bend pose): Stretches the muscles of the lower back, pelvis, uterus. Helps in reducing anxiety and depression. Find out the instructions to perform this asana in this video
- Balasana (Child’s pose):Muscles of the hips and thighs are stretched giving better alignment of the pelvis.
Check out the video to perform Balasana here:
Viprita Karini (Legs up the wall pose) : This position improves blood circulation in the pelvis region and stretches the muscles of neck and back. Find out how to perform this asana in this video
Kapal Bhati pranayama: Helps to enhance the quality of the reproductive cells.